515 North Washington

Back to Top

515 North Washington

Location Alexandria, Virginia
Project Scope
25,950 SF renovation; 9,000 SF new construction
Studios
Client
CAS Riegler

The design of 515 North Washington respects and celebrates the historic nature of the site and structure. The entitlements and approval process involved collaboration with multiple agencies and committees including the Upper Old Town Design Advisory Committee; the Alexandria Board of Architectural Review; and the Historic Preservation and Washington Street Design Guidelines arms of the National Parks Service. The project was completed in the fall of 2015.

Cooper Carry was engaged by CAS Riegler to provide architecture and interior design services for the restoration and conversion of a 25,950 square-foot office building into residential units. The historic structure was built as a cotton factory in 1847. Since then, it has functioned as a Civil War prison, a bottling plant, a spark plug factory, residential apartments, and most recently, an office building. The adaptive reuse project resulted in the creation of 26 residential units over four stories with an additional loft level. The boutique units vary in size from 450 square feet to 2,000 square feet. Construction of a 9,000 square-foot annex building on the site, currently occupied by a parking lot, will create eight additional boutique condominium units.

 

Pictorial

Project Leadership

Project Team

Other Projects