Back to Top
NASA Integrated Engineering Services Building (IESB)
Location Hampton, Virginia
Whiting-Turner Contracting Company
Cooper Carry is the Architect of Record on the Design-Build, GSA Design Excellence Integrated Engineering Sciences Building. The project is a new 134,000 SF two story, mixed-use building at the NASA Langley Research Center (LaRC), located in Hampton, VA.
The building includes engineering collaboration spaces; offices; a multi-media production suite; a full-service cafeteria including food preparation, dining and serving areas; an education and training center; and a theater, conference and meeting facilities.
This building is the second Cooper Carry project at the Center and is part of what is expected to be a phased, 12-year modernization program (referred to as New Town) involving up to six new buildings worth an estimated $250 Million.
The facility has achieved LEED-NC Gold certification. Sustainable design features include geothermal heating and cooling, water efficient landscaping, and sun control devices. The entire building was designed using Revit (BIM) modeling. AECOM was the GSA Design Excellence Architect.
- 2015, AIA Northern Virginia Award of Merit in Institutional Architecture
- 2015, Federal Energy and Water Management Award, U.S. Department of Energy
- 2015, GSA Project Management Award for Large Federal Construction
- 2015, GSA Regional Administrator Award for Making a More Sustainable Government Environmental Footprint
- 2015, ENR Southeast Award of Merit for Green Catgory
- 2016, DBIA Mid-Atlantic Region, Honor Award