Ballston Quarter was first opened in 1951 as the Parkington Shopping Center. It was one of the first major suburban shopping centers in the Washington DC metropolitan area and was the first shopping center built around a multi-story parking garage in the US.
Forest City Enterprises wanted to develop a repositioning strategy for the inward-facing, enclosed mall located in Arlington, Virginia. The proposed urban strategy includes turning the retail out to the street and expressing destination retailers, such as sport and health facilities in the restyling of the façade. The retail that will occupy this new open-air, mixed-use redevelopment is diverse and will include, fashion, food & beverage, specialty and entertainment. Street-level tenants along the major corridors of Wilson Boulevard and Glebe Road will include restaurants with outdoor dining and other retail and market spaces. These new retail spaces will activate the new open-air mews and gathering plaza.
The major renovation of the indoor mall component facilitates a new emphasis on vertical circulation between the market court at ground level to the Kettler Capitals Iceplex four stories in the air, connecting all levels of a new atrium space including a Macy’s department store and the existing movie theater. Existing parking garage elevators will be supplemented with additional feature stairs and escalators between all levels of the development. These vertical connections are further emphasized by the glass feature wall facing the outdoor gathering plaza that is established at the facility’s main entry point on Wilson Blvd.
Ballston Quarter is a collaboration between international design firms. Cooper Carry is the architect of record for the existing mall and parking garage renovations. CallisonRTKL is the architect of record for the retail and residential that will be located on the east development parcel of the former Macy's department store.