Constructed in 1957, Bergen Mall was one of the first shopping malls in the Northeast. After being declared by the Harvard School of Design as being “in heartbreaking, gangrenous ruin,” Cooper Carry revived the mall into the Bergen Town Center, creating the town square that Paramus had longed for throughout its history. Through a redesign of both its interior and exterior, Bergen Town Center is articulated as a community of buildings with a diverse architecture. Through the addition of 200,000 square feet of retail and the strategic positioning of a new 1,700-car parking structure, the new Town Center provides a striking image along busy Route 4 and a more intimate neighborhood appeal facing the adjacent residential community. In addition to common spaces, all tenant storefronts were also renovated.
185,000 SF of CMA Renovation; 200,000 SF Addition; 1,700-Car Parking Structure
Vornado Realty Trust