Gwinnett Technical College Life Sciences Building
Gwinnett Technical College’s new Life Sciences Center offers students, faculty, and business and healthcare partners an interactive learning facility that features the most advanced laboratory, classroom and clinical simulation centers—all within a LEED constructed building as eco-friendly as it is aesthetically inviting. The three-story, 80,211 square foot center has 12 classrooms and 17 bioscience labs, plus student study and gathering areas, computer labs, faculty offices, conference rooms and lounge areas. Constructed to meet the U.S. Green Building Council’s LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) standards, the center has achieved LEED-NC Gold Certification.
The Life Sciences Building includes:
- A Bioscience Lab Suite that includes a DNA lab, a protein analysis lab and several other lab and prep areas.
- T.E.A.L (Technology-Enhanced Active Learning) Classrooms which integrate technology and teaching to enhance student participation and collaborative learning. Round tables, multiple “white boards” and projection options, and power clusters for student laptop use enable group computer-based learning.
- Two lecture rooms that feature theater seating, white board and projection technology, and individual lap stations can accommodate 90 students when necessary.
- A Medical Assisting Suite that replicates today’s medical offices, including exam rooms and electronic records stations.
- Multiple anatomy and physiology, chemistry and microbiology labs.