The Mill & Bottling House
The design of the Mill & Bottling House respects and celebrates the historic nature of the site and structure. The entitlements and approval process involved collaboration with multiple agencies and committees including the Upper Old Town Design Advisory Committee, the Alexandria Board of Architectural Review, and the Historic Preservation and Washington Street Design Guidelines arms of the National Parks Service. The project was completed in the fall of 2015. Cooper Carry was engaged by CAS Riegler to provide architecture and interior design services for the restoration and conversion of a 25,950 SF office building into residential units. The historic structure was built as a cotton factory in 1847. Since then, it has functioned as a Civil War prison, a bottling plant, a spark plug factory, residential apartments, and most recently, an office building. The adaptive reuse project resulted in the creation of 26 residential units over four stories with an additional loft level. The boutique units vary in size from 450 SF to 2,000 SF. Construction of a 9,000 SF annex building on the site formerly occupied by a parking lot creates an additional eight boutique condominium units.