Cooper Carry served the University of Georgia in renovating and transforming a three story building into housing for the University of Georgia’s Washington, DC Studies Program. The facility includes residential space for 32 students in addition to full kitchens, student lounges and other student meeting spaces. The residential floors include an apartment for the full time residential manager and two guest suites. The first floor contains a reception area, office space and two classrooms. The original building was completed in 1931 with associated below grade parking finished in 1985. The design for the new interiors provides homage to the industrial nature of the former gym spaces. The 20,286 square-foot building is located within a Historic District in Washington, DC. and numerous regulatory agencies including the Office of Historic Preservation and the Area Neighborhood Council were involved.
Architecture, Historic Rehabilitation, Adaptive Re-Use & Conversions, Interior Design
University of Georgia