Buzzard Point Master Plan
Akridge owns 8 acres within the redeveloping area of Buzzard Point, the emerging southwest waterfront peninsular community in Washington, DC. The property is adjacent to land that will become the D.C. United soccer team stadium. Cooper Carry was retained by Akridge to advocate for the connectivity of their 8 acres within the neighborhood as well as develop a masterplan for potential redevelopment on the current surface lots. Strategic goals for this effort are:
- Transform a predominantly industrial neighborhood that makes up a significant portion of the SW waterfront and is currently disconnected from the remainder of the District.
- Re-establish a network of street connections to create a walkable neighborhood that will reconnect to the water.
- Plan a new residential and mixed-use waterfront community that seamlessly connects to the DC United soccer stadium.
- Influence the design of the soccer stadium so it is outward facing and supports active uses on days when there is not an event.
- Activate and connect the natural Buzzard’s Point waterfront to the southeast waterfront that has been redeveloped and rejuvenated around the Nationals Park.
Cooper Carry worked with the Akridge development team and is presently representing their efforts in local ANC Meetings, the DC Office of Planning and before the DC City Council.