Buzzard Point Master Plan
Akridge owns 25 of the 80 acres within Buzzard Point, an emerging waterfront community in southwest Washington, DC. The property is adjacent to Audi Field, the home of the DC United soccer team. Akridge retained Cooper Carry to advocate for the connectivity of their site within the neighborhood and develop a master plan for potential redevelopment on the surface lots into a mixed-use environment.
The goals of the master plan were to:
- Transform a predominantly industrial neighborhood that previously made up a significant portion of the waterfront.
- Connect Buzzard Point with the remainder of the District, including supporting community-based programs.
- Re-establish a network of street connections to create a walkable neighborhood that reconnects to the water.
- Plan a new residential and mixed-use waterfront community that seamlessly connects to the DC United soccer stadium.
- Influence the design of the soccer stadium to be outward-facing and support active uses on days when there is not an event.
- Activate and connect the natural Buzzard’s Point waterfront to the southeast waterfront that has been redeveloped and rejuvenated around the Nationals Baseball Stadium.
Our master plan design efforts have created the potential for over 600,000 square feet of ancillary stadium mixed-use development and 1.5 million square feet of residential mixed-use development on the Akridge properties.